Google+

Monday, October 8, 2012

31 Days of Halloween: Day 8

The House of the Devil
2009
Ti West

Set in the Satanic Panic of the 80’s, ‘House of the Devil’ is about a college student named Samantha (Jocelin Donahue) who takes a job babysitting for a strange family. It just happens to be during a lunar eclipse and the owners of the house, the Ulmans (Tom Noonan, Mary Woronov) have actually brought Samantha over to watch their elderly mother or so they claim…

‘House of the Devil’ is all about the slow build taken to an extreme. It makes the moments of unexpected violence and the climax feel much more potent than they would in a film that kept throwing a steady stream of scares at the audience. There is a fantastic sense of doom from the opening frame, and I’m always happy to see Mary Woronov on screen (I’ll chalk that up to my parents letting me watch ‘Eating Rauol’ (1982) a few dozen times when I was a kid.)

No comments:

Post a Comment